You expect a puppy to chew your slippers. You don't expect them to set your house on fire! Here's what happened in Stanford-le-Hope, and how home CCTV linked to an app saved the day - and the dog!
The fluffy pup, a husky mix called Bear, was only left alone for a short while. But, as parents and pet owners know, disaster can strike in seconds!
His owner, Josh Hill, had hidden a pack of bread rolls in the microwave to make sure they were out of reach. Bear clearly fancied them as a dog's dinner and somehow managed to start the microwave in his quest to get it open!
As the plastic and bread heated up, a fire started and the kitchen filled with smoke...
Luckily, the owner had home CCTV linked to a viewing app so he could see the feed on his phone. He logged in from work, expecting to see a sleeping pup, maybe a chewed up chair leg at worst.
What he actually saw was plumes of smoke spilling from the kitchen worktop!
He immediately called the Fire Brigade and rushed to the scene where Bear greeted him with puppy dog eyes and his tail between his legs. Relieved that he was unhurt, Josh got Bear to a safe place till help arrived.
The firefighters opened windows then used a big fan to disperse the smoke and limit the spread to the rest of the house.
Geoff Wheal is the watch manager at Corringham Fire Station. He called it a "very strange incident" and added:
"It demonstrates that microwaves shouldn't be used to store food when they aren't in use
Always keep your microwave clean and free of clutter or food and any packaging.
Animals or children can turn them on more easily than you might think - so please don't run the risk."
Blake's top tip is to turn appliances like this off at the switch after using them. Dog-proof!
Home CCTV cameras can do more than just keep an eye on pets. They're great for checking on elderly relatives or teens that are home alone too.
A CCTV system is also a brilliant burglar deterrent, especially combined with a quality intruder alarm. As Josh and Bear show, with a smart app you can keep everyone safe and sound from the palm of your hand.
Blake Fire & Security Systems have been protecting homes and businesses in Essex for over 2 decades. We're fully accredited by the SSAIB, NSI and BAFE so you know you're getting the best equipment and service. When it comes to taking care of your family, don't settle for anything less!
Contact us today to find out about home CCTV, burglar alarms or fire alarm systems.
Click the button below to ask our experts a question or request a FREE security survey. One of our friendly professionals will get back to you ASAP!