In May 2017, there were 1,082 documented burglaries in Essex! In fact, there's a 1 in 50 chance of being burgled in Southend-on-Sea alone!
That statistic might not seem scary until you think about the number of houses on your street...
It's clear that Essex homeowners need to take extra precautions to protect their property, but how? Find out with this blog post.
Don't become part of the Essex burglary statistics
Intruder alarms & home CCTV systems are obvious deterrents, but did you know that simple changes can be made to prevent burglary?
Start with the exterior of your home...
- Lock your doors and windows. Always remove the keys and hide them in a safe, but easily accessible, place.
- Install a security light. Illuminate your back garden and reveal anyone lurking in the shadows!
Next, secure the interior...
- If you're going out, leave a light or radio on. This creates a false, but believable, presence in your home.
- Close blinds and curtains to prevent window shoppers!
- Keep your valuables out of sight - preferably in a safe place.
But don't just take our word for it...
Watch this video interview with a convicted burglar who explains how he targeted homes to steal from. You will be surprised how easy it was for him!
Keep your home off this year's report!
How secure is your property? Take our short quiz to discover your personalised home security score. Click the button below to get your results in 5 minutes!