No matter how secure you think your family home is, there's always room for improvement.
Beating the burglars becomes harder every year as they become smarter and adapt their methods.
Blake's have compiled the best home and garden security tips from a few of our blog posts. Check them out below!
7 home and garden security tips from Blake's
- A CCTV camera is a burglar's worst nightmare! Clear, HD Video footage can be passed on to the police who can use facial recognition to hunt him down. Never use dummy CCTV cameras, though - you risk experienced burglars having seen them before!
- A well maintained burglar alarm will wipe your home off a burglar's radar - your home isn't worth the risk... especially if there's a possibility that you have police monitoring.
- Use gravel in your driveway, under windows and in your back garden so that you can hear footsteps around your property. Burglars prefer to sneak up to their targets undetected and will avoid areas with gravel and stones that might attract attention.
- Motion sensor lighting will deter burglars from lurking around your home. The last thing they want is to be caught in the act!
- Shrubs and bushes create a visual block, stopping unwanted visitors from peering into your front windows and scouting out your valuables. Having said that, these should not be too tall as they can provide a protective shield to burglars who have breached your perimeter if you don't have automated gates to control access.
- Rear fencing stops intruders from seeing into your back garden and should be at least two metres high to prevent them from jumping over. Topping it with a trellis and some thorny shrubbery can also be a good move.
- Secure the tools inside your shed with a sturdy chain to prevent thieves from stealing them. Same with ladders, large outdoor toys and garden furniture that they could use to climb on.
Can you tick off every item on our home security checklist?
You may already be following some of our tips above, but we challenge you to complete our Home Security Checklist.
If you can tick off every item, your home is almost a fortress. If not, your home and family could be at risk of burglary.
Click the image below to get started. How safe is your home?